Monday, May 27, 2013

Movie of the Week – I Know Where I’m Going!


This week’s movie: I Know Where I’m Going! (1945).

The romance drama is about Joan Webster, an English woman ambitious and stubborn who knows exactly what she wants. She has become engaged to a rich man and is on her way up to Scotland to marry him. However, she encounters strong windy weather and is unable to cross to meet him on Kiloran Island. She is forced to stay in a small town where she meets Torquil McNeil. At first she is infuriated by him, but then something happens.

The film is directed by the Archers (Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger). From 1943 through 1948, the Archers made seven of the best films of all-time – three in Technicolor, three in black & white, and one that utilizes both. The three in black & white are A Canterbury Tale, I Know Where I’m Going!, and The Small Black Room, and while personally I like A Canterbury Tale the most of the three this is also a great film, ripe with strong characters and wonderful mythos.

The Archers worked with composer Allan Gray, cinematographer Erwin Hillier, and production designer Alfred Junge on the film (the same creative team as A Canterbury Tale and all frequent collaborators).

The film stars Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey (who also stars in two other films from the Archers), and features Pamela Brown, Finlay Currie, and John Laurie in support.

While I Know Where I’m Going! is maybe not quite as heralded as some of the other films from the Archers (like their films in Technicolor), it is nonetheless a brilliant British film. It is a must-see for fans of the Archers (the best filmmakers in British cinema of the 1940s).


Trailer: Here
Available on: DVD and Streaming

No comments:

Post a Comment